|Welcome Guest ( Log In / Register )|
Hello, and welcome to The 3rd Age, a website and community entirely dedicated to modding the BfME series.
Whether you’re entirely new to modding BfME, or have already been modifying a few things around, this site, and the forum, is the best place to find resources and help.
Use the above form to log in. You can use your Revora nickname and password, or register there if you haven’t already.
Once you've logged in, you can actively contribute to the site by sharing your knowledge with us, and asking whatever questions you may have in the forums.
If you need help finding your way around this site, go here.
We hope you will have as much fun modding the BfME series as we’ve had during the past few years.
The 3rd Age Staff
T3A News » 3ds Max 8 and Windows 10
Posted August 3, 2015. By | View Comments
Hello fellow BFME artists,
As you probably know, Windows 10 was recently released. As you also know, BFME artists are confined to creating their models in 3ds Max 8, a 3ds Max version from 2008. It so happens that Windows 10 has finally been bringing the inevitable; it's breaking 3ds Max 8 in different ways. So far we've had people completely unable to run the installer, people getting start-up issues after start-up issue, constant program freezes when opening or importing files, and other, smaller issues.
If you want to keep creating art for BFME and want to get Windows 10, I strongly recommend making a drive partition and install Windows 10 on there (I can explain this method to you if Google fails you entirely). The way things are at this moment, this is the way to keep using 3ds Max 8 properly. If you have already installed Windows 10, you can go back to your previous OS (7, 8, 8,1) this way. Obviously, this isn't a great solution at all. Which brings me to my next point:
We are doomed.
Well, a little bit. We can probably manage to band-aid 3ds Max 8 to a degree that most people can install it. We'd have to further lower our expectations of a properly functioning program, though, because the freezes and other issues aren't going to go away. And if they did, we'd have the same problem on Windows 11, or whatever is next. Our tools (the W3D importers, the Mod SDK's W3D tools) are simply too old. They have to be ported to newer versions of 3ds Max. I have no idea what sort of programming this involves, so I'm hoping I can get some people in here to give me an idea, or to come up with other solutions.
T3A News » RotWK Patch 2.02 v5.0.0 Released
Posted July 30, 2015. By | View Comments
The RotWK community patch team just released the newest RotWK community patch:
July 28, 2015
General Balance Changes
- Random factions, positions, and colors are now revealed on the loading screen.
- Porcupine Formation:
--- +20% damage bonus removed;
--- armor bonus reverted to +100% (from +150%).
- Battering Rams:
--- cost reduced to 300 (from 450);
--- damage reduced to 600 (from 1000);
--- speed increased to 45 (from 32).
- All builders vision radius tripled to 300 (from 100).
- All created wights now have a fade-in timer (i.e. they no longer pop-up instantly after creation).
- Fire Drakes no longer use a melee weapon attack style.
- Fortress siege resistance reverted to 100% (from 110%).
- Hero CP requirements increased to 50/60/70/80/100 (from 40/50/60/70/80).
- Morgul Blade no longer works on Galadriel.
--- no longer classed as a monster; i.e. certain abilities like Beast Slayer no longer deal unreasonable damage to him;
--- casts temporary Darkness when recruited.
- Tom Bombadil lifetime reduced to 45s (from 60s).
- Untamed Allegiance effect range increased to 100 (from 60), so that lairs and their units are easily captured with one cast.
- Hobbit buildtime increased to 45s (from 30s). Applies to both Dwarves and Elves.
- Mordor Inn unit reverted to Corsairs (from Easterlings).
- Goblins Corsairs buildtime increased to 45s (from 40s).
- Angmar now recruits the original 2.02 thrall wildmen horde (from regular wildmen horde).
- Lair units can no longer receive upgrades.
- Lair Troll cost reverted to 500 (from 400).
- Lair Drake cost reverted to 1000 (from 1500, originally 2000).
- Lone Tower:
--- can now again be garrisoned;
--- health reverted to 2500 (from 1500);
--- recharge time increased to 6m (from 5m40s, originally 3m);
--- no longer benefits from fortress upgrades.
- Lair Wight:
--- Chill Soul removed;
--- cost reduced to 150 (from 200);
--- buildtime reduced to 25s (from 30s).
- Gondor Soldiers:
--- buildtime increased to 25s (from 20s);
--- crush armor reverted to 125% (from 100%).
- Rohan Spearmen:
--- pierce resistance increased to 100% (from 110%);
--- Heavy Armor resistance values are properly set (i.e. take half damage when upgraded).
- Gondor Archers cost reverted to 300 (from 250).
--- cost reverted to 1000 (from 1400);
----- splash damage removed;
----- now deals hero damage (was magic damage);
----- reverted back to level 1 (from level 2).
--- Disguise now available on level 1 (from level 4);
--- Shield Maiden now available on level 4 (from level 5).
- Eomer Spear Throw:
--- now deals 5x damage to Mumakil (was 7.5x, originally 1x);
--- no longer deals 3x damage to monsters.
- Faramir Wounding Arrow:
--- now deals hero ranged damage (was hero damage);
--- no longer has a damage reduction against structures and siege weapons as new damage type renders it obsolete;
--- damage bonus against Fellbeasts and Eagles decreased to 1.5x (was 3x) and now also affects Drogoth.
--- now deals 1.5x damage to Cave Trolls and Attack Trolls (not just Mountain Trolls and Drummer Trolls).
- Aragorn now undergoes skin changes at level 4 and level 6 (3 skins in total).
--- Lightning Sword damage reverted to 300 magic, 60 flame (was 500 magic, 180 flame);
--- Istari Light damage scalar against Nazguls reduced to 300% (from 400%).
--- Arrow Storm recharge time increased to 3m30s (from 3m20s);
--- Hawk Strike:
----- damage type changed to hero ranged; should now be ineffective against all structures and machine-like siege weapons;
----- no longer has a 10% scalar against structures and siege weapons as the damage type change renders it obsolete.
- Thranduil bow range reverted to 400 (from 460).
- Treebeard and Ents can no longer camouflage in trees (v4.0 change reverted back).
- Eagles no longer have a 1000% damage scalar against siege.
- Axe Thrower buildtime reverted to 30s (from 25s).
--- knockback resistance restored;
--- can no longer enter the mine tunnel system;
--- upgrades are now in order based on lowest to highest purchase cost.
--- cost reduced to 500 (from 600);
--- slash armor resistance increased to 70% (from 90%, originally 100%).
- Mighty Catapult damage now 1000/1000 siege/flame (from 500/500).
- Wildmen Axe Throwers:
--- can now be upgraded with Forged Blades;
--- can now be upgraded with Heavy Armor.
- Warg pack damage increased to 70 (from 60).
- Warg Sentry:
--- Cost increased to 400 (from 350, originally 400);
--- Warg damage increased to 250 (from 200, originally 500).
--- Warg health increased to 900 (from 700, originally 1200).
- Mine launcher expansion cost reduced to 600 (from 750).
- Dragon Strike dragon health increased to 30000 (from 10000).
- Orc Warriors Bloodthirsty moved to level 2 (from level 4).
- Black Orcs:
--- buildcost reduced to 250 (from 400);
--- health reduced to 225 (from 300);
--- damage and upgraded damage reduced to 70 and 140 respectively (from 100 and 200 respectively);
--- crush resistance reduced to 90% (from 75%, originally 50%);
--- is no longer categorized as an elite troop.
- Haradrim Riders:
--- default armor increased to 100% (from 110%);
--- slash armor increased to 85% (from 95%).
- Corsairs Fire Bombs:
--- Damage reduced to 10 (from 15);
--- Fire Bombs reverted to level 1 (from level 2).
- Drummer Troll:
--- pierce resistance reverted to 30% (from 50%);
--- frost resistance increased to 30% (from 80%, originally 100%);
--- flame resistance reverted to 50% (from 80%);
--- magic resistance reverted to 50% (from 100%);
--- moved to level 1 troll cage (from level 2);
--- roar ability effect radius extended to 200 (from 100);
--- damage radius and arc reduced to 50 and 45 (from 60 and 50 respectively);
--- cost increased to 500 (from 400).
- Orc Pit:
--- Level 2 upgrade cost reduced to 250 (from 300);
--- Level 2 upgrade time reverted to 30s (from 20s).
--- Level 3 upgrade cost reduced to 300 (from 400).
- Black Riders:
--- Dread Visage now again available at level 2 (from level 4);
--- Morgul Blade now again available at level 4 (from level 6);
--- Screech now available at level 7 (from level 10).
--- cost reverted to 1200 (from 1400);
--- splash radius from standard attack reduced to 12 (from 15);
--- Iron Hand reverted to level 4 (from level 1);
--- Leadership moved to level 5 (from level 6).
- Mouth of Sauron's Evil Eye damage scalar against Nazguls increased to 300% (from 250%).
- Khamul/Morgomir now again tier 4 heroes (from tier 5).
--- health reduced to 6000 (from 7000, originally 8000);
--- flying armorset damage scalar increased to 75% (from 87.5%, originally 100%).
- Fire Drake Broods pierce armor increased to 60% (from 75%, originally 100%).
- Spider Riders bow animation now properly displays while firing and reloading.
- Goblin Archer's poison arrows auto ability feature can now be activated.
--- cost increased to 300 (from 250);
--- health increased to 250 (from 200);
--- damage increased to 100 (from 75);
--- damage scalar against structures reduced to 90% (from 75%);
--- Venom Sacs is now a rechargeable ability of 20s duration and 1m reload time.
- Half-Troll Swordsmen:
--- cost reduced to 400 (from 500);
--- pierce armor resistance increased to 60% (from 80%).
- Spider Pit:
--- Buildcost reduced to 500 (from 600);
--- Level 2 upgrade cost increased to 500 (from 400).
- Dark Rangers:
--- pierce resistance reduced to 50% (from 40%);
--- unupgraded damage reduced to 80 (from 90, originally 100).
- Dire Wolves:
--- buildtime is reduced to 30s (from 35s);
--- health increased to 300 (from 250);
--- damage increased to 70 (from 65);
--- damage scalar against structures increased to 75% (from 50%);
--- pierce armor resistance increased to 100% (from 120%);
--- heavy armor resistance values are now 3/4'th of the unupgraded armor resistance values (i.e. heavy armor is nerfed by 50%).
--- cost reverted to 500 (from 600);
--- buildtime reverted to 30s (from 40s);
--- all abilities' range reverted to 500 (from originally 300, except Well of Souls originally 250);
--- Fell Strength damage reduced to 25 (from 50).
- Hall of the King's Men level 2 upgrade buildtime reverted to 30s (from 20s).
- Hall of Twilight level 3 upgrade time reduced to 30s (from 60s).
- Karsh now again a tier three hero (from tier four).
--- health reduced to 6000 (from 6500, originally 8000);
--- mounted specialist resistance reduced to 120% (from 110%, originally 50%).
- Shade of Wolf:
--- swipe damage increased to 500/500 hero/frost (from 400/500);
--- wolf pack damage increased to 200 (from 150).
- Fell Wind radius of effect reduced by 25%.
- Frozen Land:
--- recharge time reverted back to 4m (from 5m);
--- duration reverted back to 5m (from 3m20s).
- Avalanche rumble sound is now louder.
- New maps by Mako: Amon Amarth, Gates of Moria, Stonewain Canyon.
- New map by Thoon: Erech II.
- Reverted Tournament Snow and East Bight changes from 4.0.
- New default zoom levels: 400 for standard users and 480 for widescreen users (was 432 for all in v4.0.0). Affect replay compatibility mode too!
- Fog levels on many maps are adjusted for height changes. Maps should look more colorful and less pale as a result.
- Arrow Storm now has a 50% damage scalar vs. heroes.
- Fireball magic damage scalar against Witch-king on Fellbeast, Khamul/Morgomir on Fellbeast, and eagles reduced to 150% (from 300%).
- Lightning Sword recharge time increased to 3m (from 2m30s, originally 4m).
- Disguise ability no longer works on Galadriel.
- Beacons now time out after 8s.
- WotR living world fortress cost reverted to 1500 (from 5000).
- Fixed game crash when run with BFME II patch 1.07/1.08 active.
- All unlicensed Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit music from v4.0 removed. Reduced patch size by about 600 MB.
- Some art added in 4.0 is no longer present.
- A new set of 12 player colors available to choose from (only 7 in War of the Ring mode).
- New main menu, loading screen, and game logo (resized) artworks for widescreen users (i.e. no longer stretched on widescreen monitors).
- In-game font size is properly adjusted (i.e. is no longer too big on widescreen resolutions).
- Launcher design layout has changed slightly.
- Lobby music switcher works again.
- Added new lobby music option: The Smoking Man's tracks, containing The Smoking Man's two added soundtracks from v4.0.0 and v5.0.0.
- Can now start the game from the patch launcher by pressing Enter.
- Can now exit the patch launcher by pressing Esc.
- Users can no longer type random text in the dropdown lists to crash the launcher.
- Launcher now warns the user if the outdated 3.9.0.big, !multiplayer.big files and/or their .disabled versions are present in the game directory and offers to delete them.
- Added 2.02 v4.0.0 to "Old 2.02 Versions" (previously known as "Old Replay Compatibility Mode"):
--- Does not include extra added soundtracks and graphics;
--- Compatible with old v4.0.0 replays.
- No longer repeatedly asks users to delete obsolete files over and over again for each obsolete file found. The user is asked only once.
- Now creates Options.ini when it is loaded if it doesn't already exist.
- Now updates the game's resolution even if the "Resolution=" line is missing from Options.ini by adding that line itself before being closed.
- Dire Wolf Spiked Collar buildcost corrected to 150 (from 500); broken in 4.0.
- Game no longer crashes when all player slots are filled when preparing a new WotR game in lobby; broken in 4.0.
- Archers no longer reload twice from their quiver when bombarding arrows.
- Lorien Archers no longer jitter when attacking (animation bug).
- Uruk Pit level 3 upgrade description fixed (removed the "adds a defensive tower at level 3" because there's no tower).
- Eomer's Leadership no longer affects Fire Drake Broods.
- Some passive abilities (Uruk Deathbringers' Stonewall ability, Bloodlust abilities) now correctly display when multiple units are selected.
- All effect (heal, leadership, poison, etc.) FX now correctly applies to all units that are affected by the associated effect. (Most notably, orcs now show poison FX when affected by Karsh's Chill Soul ability.)
- Dol Guldur arrow and catapult towers no longer take ridiculous amounts of damage from hero ranged weapons.
- Angmar Battle Tower no longer deals too much damage when upgraded with Ice Arrows. (Previously, the upgrade caused Battle Towers to fire both Ice and normal arrows.)
- Dwarven WotR Inn unit now correctly set to Hobbits (from Men of Dale) to match Skirmish counterpart.
- Mordor's WotR Inn unit now correctly set to Corsairs (from Haradrim Archers) to match Skirmish counterpart.
- Angmar's WotR Inn unit now correctly set to Angmar wildmen (from Isengard wildmen) to match Skirmish counterpart.
T3A News » June Ladder Report
Posted July 3, 2015. By | View Comments
A month has passed since the T3A:Online Ladder was introduced. Its activity topped the imaginations of everyone of the Staff Team. A total of 460 matches are currently logged for both ladders altogether, which include 197 games played on the 1vs1 Ladder and 263 games played on the 2vs2 Ladder. The playerbase is growing steadily, and is currently counting up 56 individual players.
Current Top 3 of the 1vs1 Ladder:
Current Top 3 of the 2vs2 Ladder:
The Ladder Team wants to thank each and every participant for their activity and feedback. We have a big interest in improving the ladder further and we hope that you (=the community) will help us with this. Please keep posting suggestion and feedback to the current ladder version as it helps us stabilizing and improving the ladder as we go on.
Thank you again for all your support,
The T3A Ladder Team
T3A News » T3A:Online QuickMatch Simulation Ladder
Posted June 1, 2015. By | View Comments
The T3A:Online Team is happy to announce:
We are introducing our new QuickMatch generator
It allows you to play and gather points for a new BFME ranked ladder (QuickMatch simulation). This ladder is bridging the gap while the T3A:Online team works on implementing the ingame statistics and autoreports as quickly as possible. After our recent server upgrade this is the next feature we offer you for free and fun . Visit the WEBSITE and have a look around. We offer a 1vs1 and 2vs2 ladder. Currently we're covering BFME1, but expanding and incorporating BFME2 and ROTWK is possible (and likely).
You will find all information in the accouncement topic.
Good luck and have fun,
T3A News » BFME3 ANNOUNCED
Posted March 31, 2015. By | View Comments
2015 APRIL FOOLS
So the Revora inbox received this just now:
WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES
THE BATTLE FOR MIDDLE-EARTH 3: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES
FOR XBOX ONE™, PLAYSTATION® 4, and WINDOWS™ PC
THE BELOVED MIDDLE-EARTH REAL TIME STRATEGY GAME RETURNS
Burbank, Calif. - March 31, 2015 - Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces today that The Battle for Middle-earth 3: The Battle of the Five Armies, an epic real time strategy game based on J.R.R. Tolkien's renowned novels is set to launch on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows® PC in 2016.
"Having secured the rights to this fabled franchise, we can finally bring The Battle for Middle-earth into the current generation of video games," says Isaac Johnston, High King, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "Utilizing the award-winning people behind 2014's 'Shadow of Mordor', we are looking to both satisfy the existing The Battle for Middle-earth fanbase as well as evolve its concepts to attract new gamers to this franchise. This is going to be the Lord of the Rings RTS experience fans have been waiting for."
Developed in association with Middle-earth Enterprises, The Battle for Middle-earth 3: The Battle of the Five Armies is based primarily on the recently concluded The Hobbit trilogy, bringing with it an extensive campaign (playable both on- and offline) mixing RPG elements with the familiar Battle for Middle-earth RTS quality. Players will take control of Thorin and his Company as they set out to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the terrible Smaug. Move strategically across Middle-earth using the all-new Living World Map, defeat the forces of Azog and the Necromancer, and raise your armies to prevent the destruction of all free folk.
Choose your side as you play online against your friends, taking command of one of eight unique factions. The Battle for Middle-earth 3: The Battle of the Five Armies sees the return of old favorites Gondor, Rohan, Mordor and Isengard, while adding the new, Hobbit-based factions of the noble Greenwood, sturdy Erebor, savage Gundabad and sinister Dol Guldur. Rise through the ranks of the official Battle for Middle-earth 3: The Battle of the Five Armies ladder and prove that you are the greatest commander in Middle-earth.
As you can imagine, I am currently picking my jaw up off the floor. It's looking very early days still, but still, I can glean so much promise from the first bits of information.
Here's hoping for modding tools.
Go to top
Current time: 20:54:56
© All Rights Reserved Eric Edwards.
Website programming by Bart van Heukelom.
BFME, Battle For Middle Earth, and all assumed entities associated with them are © EA Games.